Sunday, September 8, 2019

Spawn Hits Major Milestone

Congratulations to Todd McFarlane and Spawn, one of the all-time independent comic titles of all time, and, hell, one of the all-timers full stop. They made it to issue #300. This is the variant cover I picked up at my LCS:



I remember when Image was founded, and Spawn was the flagship title. I remember when it was a huge deal that someone named Greg Capullo was taking over the pencil work on Spawn.

I remember these things because they were big deals, but not because I was an avid reader or collector of Image content. I was a Valiant fan and appreciated the writing of those stories over the flashy visuals and slick paper of the Image books.

I have certainly grown to appreciate what Image does for artists and can fully support their success.

The variant cover I only learned about this evening is the one I would have preferred. I have set it up against the cover that upon which it is based:


Both by McFarlane.

As Spawn comes to surpass Cerebus with issue #301, I may post a retrospective on the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment