Saturday, May 4, 2019

Birthday Sharing

Happy Free Comic Book Day!

I got my books today in a sadly lackluster offering from my local shop. I love the place, certainly, and came to the realization that the free stuff was going to be for casual fans and not hard-core sequential art heads like me.

Anyway, I have a colleague who is also a fan and who shares my (our) birthday. Each year we get each other books for the day, and this year he gave me the anthology "Where We Live," the artifact that is the grieving process for Las Vegas and the survivors of the attack back in October of 2017. It's sobering, fantastic, and HEAVY.


I got him a book about Louise Michel, a leader of the French Commune in 1871, a civil uprising and taking over of Paris and French government. The Prussians had marched into Paris, and the government capitulated and cut deals to hold power, and this pissed off the commoners. When the Prussians party ended, the split, and the people tossed out the collabortors and set up the Commune.

That this happened ever intrigues me to no end.

Anyway, Louise Michel wore red, and became known as the Red Virgin, and while she was a feminist revolutionary leader, she was also a teacher and a writer of Utopian fiction, an early kind of speculative fiction, like sci-fi.

Hence the name:


Both are worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment